Who we are
The Australian Federation of AIDS Organisations (AFAO) is the national federation for the HIV community response.
We provide leadership, coordination and support to the Australia's policy, advocacy and health promotion response to HIV/AIDS.
Internationally we contribute to the development of effective policy and programmatic responses to HIV/AIDS at the global level, particularly in the Asia Pacific region.
Our funding is chiefly from the Commonwealth Department of Health and, up to December 2015, from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (under the Australian Aid program - formerly AusAID).
Working together to defeat HIV and new HIV infections in Australia, Asia and the Pacific.
AFAO's membership is comprised of the national organisations leading priority communities on HIV issues at a national level, the State/Territory AIDS Councils, and a growing group of Affiliated Organisations.
Our current members are:
- the National Association of People With HIV Australia (NAPWHA)
- Anwernekenhe National HIV Alliance (ANA)
- the Australian Injecting & Illicit Drug Users League (AIVL)
- Scarlet Alliance - Australian Sex Workers Association
- the seven State/Territory AIDS Councils and former AIDS Councils
- affiliates - Positive Life NSW, the Bobby Goldsmith Foundation, and the New Zealand AIDS Foundation.
Community partners in Australia's HIV response
(Click image for a larger version)
This page was published on 12 January, 2011
This page was reviewed on 14 March 2016
All content contained within this website is copyright © AFAO, unless otherwise stated. Content may be reproduced for non-commercial, personal research or educational purposes free of charge, provided the following citation is made: "Reprinted from [name of publication], published by the Australian Federation of AIDS Organisations". Contact AFAO regarding other uses of content.