These pages include AFAO media releases, information about AFAO's media activities, links to AFAO's media comment and interviews, and background information about HIV in Australia.
You can also bookmark AFAO's HIV Media Guide - Information for Journalists website.
The website aims to provide journalists with tools to ensure that media reporting on HIV is accurate and sensitive.
It includes tips on best practice and non-stigmatising language, as well as case studies which highlight the need for careful reporting of HIV-related issues.
For the latest Australian HIV data see:
AFAO has produced a set of Background Briefings for media and other commentators, on:
- HIV and Australia: a short history
- Making Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) available to people at high risk of HIV infection
- Substantially increasing access to and uptake of voluntary HIV testing
- Application of Australian criminal laws in cases of HIV sexual transmission and exposure
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community input and the Australian HIV response
- HIV and sub-Saharan African communities in Australia
- Spitting and Mandatory Testing for HIV and other Blood Borne Viruses
For more information or media comment:
Nick Lucchinelli 0422 229 032
Anil Lambert 0416 426 722
This page was published on 12 January, 2011
This page was reviewed on 14 March 2016
All content contained within this website is copyright © AFAO, unless otherwise stated. Content may be reproduced for non-commercial, personal research or educational purposes free of charge, provided the following citation is made: "Reprinted from [name of publication], published by the Australian Federation of AIDS Organisations". Contact AFAO regarding other uses of content.