Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+

Migrating to Australia

Can a person living with HIV migrate to Australia?

Yes, but only in certain circumstances.

All people applying for permanent residence in Australia must have an HIV test (among other tests) in order to meet the 'Health Requirement' for being granted a visa.

While some exceptions apply, generally people living with HIV do not meet the health requirement; however they can request a 'waiver' of this requirement and if successful, will be granted a permanent visa.

Immigration legislation, regulations and procedures change from time to time so if you wish to migrate to Australia you should check for the latest information about visas with the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Figuring out how to obtain permanent residence can be complex and confusing, so it's a good idea to get legal advice or assistance if you or someone you know wants to migrate to Australia.  

Legal advice services

HIV/AIDS Legal Centre, +61 2 9206 2060.

Immigration Advice & Rights Centre, +61 2 9279 4300.

Visa information for refugees

Refugee Council

This page was published on 12 January, 2011

This page was reviewed on 6 April 2016